About the Sacred Garden
Commissioned by the Australian Passionists for their Novitiate Monastery in Goulburn, NSW in 1955, 14 Carrara marble sculptures depicting the Stations of the Cross now form the centrepiece of the Sacred Garden at the Glen Osmond Monastery in Adelaide, SA, some 1250 km distant from their origin
These significant works of art are from the Ferdinando Palla Studio in Pietrasanta, Tuscany, Italy, the heartland of Carrara marble and the source of Michaelangelo’s David (Florence) and the Pieta (St Peters). Each station is a tableau of three or four half life-size figures and weighs half a ton.
The Sacred Garden is an area dedicated to peace and tranquillity for reflection and prayer. It is open to the public 9am to 5pm, 7 days a week. Guided tours are available by appointment.